Read Up On It – February 24th, 2012
This week’s edition of Read Up On It is about beautiful butters, sugar addicts and more.
- First, a little bit of food porn. Daniel Klein, who has been featured on Passable, recently went on a trip to Vietnam. To say that this video makes me envious is understating it a bit.
- Speaking of videos, the Globe & Mail has been posting food videos for a little while now. I have to say, this one on how to properly poach an egg is more useful than you may think. I always have a hard time getting my egg to not float away into fine strands.
- On the topic of cooking tips, Micheal Ruhlman has a few tips on the “do”s and “don’t”s of cookbook writing.
- The Atlantic posted an interesting article about the concept of sugar being an addiction. Say it ain’t so!
- Chris Benjamin over at The Coast talks about the miles our food travels before it gets to our plates.
- The Globe also looks into something pastry chefs and foodies in Canada have been decrying for a long time: our butter sucks.
- And in an interesting move, a Chicago-based food critic upends his anonymity so that he can eat at and review Grant Achatz’s latest incarnation at Next.