Vin Mariani, Cola’s boozier ancestor
- Remember when you were a kid and someone told you how Coke used to have cocaine in it? The Atlantic tells the backstory. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, indeed.
- The Community Carrot Co-Op, the organisation that wanted to place a grocery in North End Halifax is getting its funding.. Check out The Coast’s blurb about it, as well as the CBC‘s.
- The Chicago Tribune visits Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley.
- Eater has some fun with listing some of the most expensive tasting menus in America, as well as the most expensive menu items in the world.
- New York Magazine’s Grub Street talks about the recent love for the cruciferous cauliflower. Bistecca cavolfiore, anyone?
- Speaking of all things plant-based, Details looks into the whole “nothing but fruit” diet.
- As a former server, this got my goat. A server posts a receipt on Reddit she got from a customer at Applebee’s. The customer nixed out the 18% autograt that parties are given on groups of six or more. Turns out that the customer, who is a pastor, got the server fired from Applebee’s.
- A great interview with Danny Bowien, talking about his “sichuan secrets” on ACQTaste.
- And finally, a great little mini-documentary about coffee culture, and the desire for the perfect cup, from The Thrash Lab